I am partnering with the American Speech-Language Hearing Association's campaign to educate the public about the early warning signs of communication disorders. Speech, language and hearing disorders are treatable. Early detection is a major contributor to speedier recoveries, shortened treatment periods and reduced costs for individuals and society alike.
Facts by the Numbers
- 64% of parents are unaware of the early warning signs
- 57% of parents don't realize that without early detection treatment takes longer and is more expensive
- 45% of individuals don't know that misuse of personal audio technology may cause hearing loss
- by the 1st grade, roughly 5% of children have a noticeable speech disorder
- more than 3 million American's stutter
- 5 studies on early detection and intervention have shown that future benefits exceed treatment cost at a ratio as high as 7 to 1.
- 1 in 5 Americans (48 million people) have hearing loss in at least one ear
Signs You'll Learn About:
- Signs of a Language Disorder
- Signs of a Speech Sound Disorder
- Signs of Stuttering (Disfluency)
- Signs of a Voice Disorder
Your Next Steps
- know what is developmentally appropriate for your child's age
- if you, a caregiver or other professional have a concern seek the guidance of a certified Speech Language Pathologist
- pursue speech-language therapy if your child's skill have been found to be delayed
- continue to provide language-developing (and fun) activities for your child
The Identify the Signs seminar for families lasts 30-45 minutes with time for some Q & A!
For more information about hosting an Identify the Signs 101 Seminar, contact me here! You can also give me a call at 407-325-0427.
The in-service for teachers lasts 1 hour and a certificate of completion will be provided for each staff member in attendance!
For more information about hosting an Identify the Signs In-Service, contact me here! You can also give me a call at 407-325-0427.
Availability may be limited. Conditions do apply. Please contact us to find out more information.